Thursday, May 10, 2012

Day 24 - Dixon Reservoir

Date: 5/5/2012
Location:  Dixon Reservoir
Time: 11:00 am - 3:00 pm
Weather:  85 Degrees, Wind 5mph from the south, sunny, Day before a major cold front/rain storm

CINCO DE MAYO!!!  With the smell of skunk lingering on me from my bass fishing attempts at Arapahoe, I wanted to try for a more "sure" thing.  We headed to Dixon, which seems to be the most consistent water around.  This was probably the best bluegill trip of the year so far.  Thea and I each lost count, but caught well over 75 bluegill each.  The bluegill and pumkinseeds were in full spawn mode and we focused on the shallow area in the Northwestern corner near the dam.

There was no real need to move as we were catching fish on almost every cast.  All the bluegill seemed to be healthy 7-9" fish.  We didn't get any over 9" yesterday, but the average size was awesome.  Thea and I each caught a Master Angler size pumkinseed as well.  Mine was 8" and Thea's was a monster at 8.5."  I ham-fisted mine and dropped it in the water before we got a picture, but I did get a great picture of Thea's so she will get a MA certificate and patch.   Thea also had an awesome double with two 8"+ bluegill at the same time.   We also both caught several 10-11" crappie that appeared to be spawning near the outlet structure.

The best rig was the "Dixon Special" with a white gurgler on top with a Tan BBS 18" underneath.  This really seems to be the ticket for this lake.  Yellow and black BBS also worked well, but the tan seemed to be a little better.  I also tried fishing with a sinking line and a 2" clouser trailed by a BBS for a while.  I had some success on long slow pull retrieve, but it wasn't as fast paced as the popper/dropper rig and the bluegills weren't any bigger. 

Thea with the Master Angler award Pumkinseed:

Thea with an awesome double!


No comments:

Post a Comment