Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Day 27 - Dixon Reservoir

Date: 5/12/2012
Location:  Dixon Reservoir
Time: 10:30 am - 3:00 pm
Weather:  55 degrees, overcast and mist/rain.  Wind 0-5 mph from the south

Sean Kimbrel and I took the Kayaks out to Dixon in the mist/rain.  I was hoping for a little better fishing with the overcast skies, but the opposite was the case.  The bluegill that had been smashing everything the week before took a lot more convincing.  We both had to work pretty hard to catch a little more than a dozen fish each.  Still, it was a good day of fishing and a great time talking with Sean.  I had a couple of nice hits from Bass on the popper and the bluegill seemed more inclined to take the popper than usual as well.   We fished various colors, but most seemed to produce about the same action.

We fished the bedding area near the dam early and then moved to the East shoreline to drift as a slight breeze picked up.  We found the bluegill to be more scattered than the last time I fished the shoreline when they were all tight to structure/weeds.  The weeds are starting to grow toward the surface along the whole east side and fishing small pockets seemed to be the key.  We also found more fish in slightly deeper water 50-100 feet from shore. 

Pretty little Bluegill from the Kayak:

No comments:

Post a Comment