Date: 5/18/2012
Location: Horsetooth Reservoir
Time: 5:30 am - 8:00 pm
Weather: 75 degrees, Changing to unsettled/stormy. Wind 0-5 mph from the south to start and changed to 30+ mph gusts from the north with approaching storm
Thea, Dad, and I went up for a quick trip to Horsetooth after work. With only 2 Kayaks, we resorted to some car pooling to make it across Santanka Cove for a good shore fishing spot for Thea, since she wanted to work on her spin fishing technique. The ride across the bay was fun, as my weight caused they kayak to ride a little low in the water. Dad didn't enjoy it when I started rocking!
Kayak-pooling:
Thea used tube jigs on a spinning rod from shore and caught 4 Smallmouth bass that were each about 12-14" on the South side of Santanka Cove. I fished using a 3" long gulp leech fly on sinking line from the main lake point all the way around the South side of Santanka Cove. I caught 3 small 6" bass and 2 bass that were about 12." Dad started out with a minnow imitation on sinking line before switching to a leech imitation, but had no luck on either. He switched to a popper and started fishing way back in the furthest West arm of Santanka Cove. He wouldn't be more specific than "I killed them" and nodded his head in the affirmative when I asked if he caught more than a dozen.
At about 7:45, a big storm kicked up with some large waves in the main bay. On big lakes, it doesn't pay to mess around with the Kayaks, and I'm glad that we were all able to get to calm water ASAP. I did spend about a minute in the bigger waves, and the kayak handled it well, but it did make me nervous having waves come over the side/front as I was paddling. Still, it was a fun experience and it was awesome to get into the calm quiet truck after battling the storm!
Pretty 12" Smallmouth bass from Horsetooth:
Great post honey!! It was quite the adventure!! :)
ReplyDelete